The functionality, practicality, and beauty of kitchen cabinets should not only be limited to the kitchen space. Besides holding your pots, pan, and other essentials, kitchen cabinets can be used in other areas of your home. They can make fantastic storage solutions or creative add-ons. Whether for a desk for your home office or a play kitchen for your kids, kitchen cabinets can be used in many creative ways. In this blog post, we look at a few unusual yet useful ways to use kitchen cabinets throughout your home.
1. Electric Fireplace
Make your kitchen feel even more homely with a warm and cozy electric fireplace. An electric fireplace is a fast and efficient way to heat any room in your home. Without the smoke and smell of a wood-burning fireplace, many homeowners have opted for this cost-effective option. But every electric fireplace needs a place to go, as it would look out of place in the middle of a room. We suggest simply installing it into your kitchen cabinets. Here are a few reasons why you should opt to get an electric fireplace installed into your kitchen cabinets:
- Makes A Statement: Having an electric fireplace installed in your kitchen cabinets truly makes a statement. With the right design and color scheme, your entire kitchen can be transformed into a more relaxing space for guests and your family to gather.
- Use All The Space In Your Kitchen: One of the best places to install an electric fireplace is in your kitchen island. If you have an open plan kitchen and living room, guests will enjoy the heat in both areas, plus you'll be making use of space that has gone unused.
- Create An Entertainment Space: If your home is small, adding an electric fireplace in your kitchen cabinets creates a new space to entertain. Guests will gravitate towards the warmth of the fireplace turning your kitchen into the new hot spot to be.
Whether for your home office or used as a workspace in your garage, kitchen cabinets can easily double up as a desk. If you have the time and the skillset to get creative and take on a small DIY project, you can convert a used kitchen cabinet door into a desk. Using a front panel cabinet door, you can create a beautiful desk suitable for anyone in your family. Before you begin, you'll need some supplies, including paint and pre-fab furniture legs, which you'll find at any home improvement store. Remove the hinges and handles, fill the drill holes, attach the legs, and add a fresh coat of paint.
Alternatively, you can create a desk using a couple of base cabinets and a piece of plywood. This type of desk is perfect for a craft table or a space for kids to do their homework. Plus, it has added cabinet storage for arts and craft supplies, homework accessories, or other odds and ends. A desk like this would be ideal in a bedroom or home office space where additional storage is needed.
3. Console Table
Repurpose your kitchen's base cabinets and turn it into a stunning console table. Whether used in a hallway or living room, it is a great space to store rarely used kitchenware, books, home decor elements, and shoes. Being used kitchen cabinets, you will need to give it a makeover by doing the following:
- Refacing Cabinet Doors: If you have the time and skillset, opt to give your kitchen base cabinets a fresh look by painting them. This a low-cost way of repurposing used cabinets without replacing the doors or the entire cabinet.
- Replace Cabinet Hardware: Cabinet hardware makes all the difference, especially if you've given your cabinet a fresh coat of paint. Opt for vintage or glass hardware to add some character to the console.
- Remove Doors: If you want to use your kitchen cabinets as a console that stores shoes or books in your hallway, you might opt to remove its doors. You may not remove all the doors except for one to create a shoe rack or bookshelf, but it will give the console more depth and purpose.