Whether it's time for an upgrade or you need a replacement due to damage, as a homeowner, you will probably need to replace kitchen cabinets once in your life. Most people assume that replacing cabinetry is a big job that comes with a hefty price tag. But that's not necessarily true. With a wide variety of materials, tools, and contractors, the cost to replace your kitchen cabinets varies. You can find a cost-effective solution for your kitchen or get the best cabinets with a price that reflects that. Here is a breakdown of the average cost to replace kitchen cabinets.
In A Nutshell
- Semi-Custom Kitchen Cabinets: The average cost of replacing your semi-custom kitchen cabinets is between $150 and $400 per linear foot. Additionally, you'll need to spend between $3,000 and $8,500 for installation and materials.
- Fully Custom Kitchen Cabinets: The average cost of replacing fully custom kitchen cabinets is between $500 to $1,200 per linear foot. Additionally, you'll need to spend between $12,500 and $18,000 for installation and materials.
The Cost Of New Kitchen Cabinets
Stock Cabinets Cost
Semi-Custom Cabinets Cost
Custom Kitchen Cabinets Cost
The Cost Of Kitchen Cabinet Material
- Alder: Alder is easy to work with and has an even texture with a subdued grain pattern.
- Cherry: Known for its color, Cherry looks impressive with a gloss matte finish. Even though it is not a hardwood, it is both solid and durable. Due to its durability and luxury appearance, it comes at a high price point.
- Hickory: If you're looking for a solid wood that will allow your cabinets to last for decades, opt for hickory.
- Maple: Both durable and sturdy, maple not only takes stain well and is priced according to its hardness and availability.
- Oak: For a stronger wood that is easy to clean, opt for oak.
- Walnut: Known for its rich color that does not require a stain, walnut is a beautiful wood for kitchen cabinets. It is very durable and moisture resistant, which are both factors that add to its high price.
The Cost Of Kitchen Cabinet Design
- Framed Cabinets: One of the most common types of kitchen cabinet designs is framed cabinets. Like a picture frame, the cabinet frame that runs around the perimeter's front face framing it. The design allows for a customized look to your kitchen cabinets.
- Frameless Cabinets: Quickly gaining popularity, this frameless design hides the hinges as the doors are attached to the cabinet's sides.
The Cost Of Installing Kitchen Cabinets
- Basic to mid-grad cabinets: $3,200-$8,500
- High-end custom cabinets: $12,500-$18,100