Cabinet doors are often something we take for granted. However, once they become damaged or discolored, that will likely be the only thing you notice in the kitchen. This can be frustrating as a complete kitchen remodel can be time-consuming and expensive. Buying just the cabinet doors and refacing your kitchen yourself is a great way to give your kitchen a facelift. The best part? Refacing your kitchen cabinets is around 40-50% cheaper than a full kitchen remodel depending on the project.
Cabinet Door Styles
There is a wide variety of cabinet door styles for you to choose from. Every style has its own benefits depending on the overall kitchen design. Let’s look at 4 main cabinet door categories:
- Flat Panel Doors: If you are looking for sleek, modern designs, you should go with a flat panel cabinet door design. These doors feature a recessed panel made from either a composite or solid wood surrounded by a solid wood frame. This style is great for painted finishes and minimalist designs. Our favorite flat panel cabinet door is the Shaker cabinet door.
- Slab Doors: From ultra-modern designs to natural finishes for a cottage vibe, slab-style cabinetry is a great choice. Our Slab cabinetry is available in solid wood, MDF, and Thermofoil options to make sure you get what you need for your kitchen design. For a great solid wood slab cabinet door, check out our Tacoma cabinet door.
- Raised Panel Doors: For classic styles and ornate designs, you should go for a raised panel cabinet door design. Raised panel styles are great for those wanting to use a stain finish to highlight the natural beauty of the cabinet door’s material. Our best-selling raised panel cabinet door is our Revere cabinet door.
- Arched Cabinet Doors: If you are looking for a sophisticated complement to you square-panel doors, you showed explore arched cabinet door options. Typically installed on wall cabinets, arched cabinet doors are available in both raised and flat-panel options, so finding the right door for your kitchen won’t be hard. One of our favorite arched cabinet doors is the Patriot cabinet door.
- Glass Doors: Also known as mullion and frame-only doors, glass cabinet doors are another great way to add style and depth to your kitchen design. Nearly all of our cabinet doors can be modified for glass panels. However, CabinetNow does not ship any glass.
Customize Cabinet Doors
After you have selected the style for your cabinet doors, you will need to select your outside edge design. All of our doors have a standard edge, or they can be modified. This way your cabinet doors will be just the way you want them. In addition to an outside edge, you will also need to pick a material for construction and a finish.
Materials and Finishes
Finally, you will need to pick a wood species or composite material for your cabinet doors. You should not that not all products have the same material options. For example, Thermofoil doors will always be vinyl laminate on medium-density fiberboard (MDF).
Red Oak: A classic wood species that has enjoyed wide popularity in the past, red oak is a great choice for your kitchen cabinets. The natural red tint of the wood makes it perfect for stain finishes that highlight the natural beauty of the grain.
Alder: Alder is a wood species found in temperate regions. It is a softer wood species and it typically stains evenly. Alder is also a color wood species used to produce musical instruments.
Cherry: Most notably used in furniture making, Cherry combines a beautiful wood grain and warm color. This wood species will darken over time due to UV light, so keep this in mind when selecting wood tones and stains.
Maple: This wood species is light in color with heavy density and is extremely durable. The hard maple looks excellent with dark glaze.
MDF Panel/Paintable Hardwood Frame: MDF has quickly become one of the most sought-after building material due to its affordability and durability. MDF is also excellent for painting. However, since MDF has no grain pattern, it cannot be stained.
Painted or Primed: We offer 7 different paint colors for our finished cabinet doors. These colors are mixed to order. If you have another color in mind, you can order your doors pre-primed so they are ready for paint when they arrive.
Thermofoil Doors: Available in a wide variety of colors, textures, and styles, our thermofoil collections offer customers high-quality cabinet doors that arrive finished and are easy to maintain.
Kitchen Remodel vs. Refacing Costs
|Unit||Cost per Linear Foot.||Average Amount per Kitchen||Average Cost per Remodel or Refacing|
~$5-10 per Door
~$20-30 per Drawer Box
Base Cabinet Boxes
||~$230||10-12 Linear Feet||$2,300-2,800|
Upper Cabinet Boxes
||~$185||8-10 Linear Feet||$1,500-1,800|
|Labor for Boxes (If hiring)||~$75-250||10-12 Linear Feet||$750-2,500+|
|Labor for Doors (If hiring)||~$30-100 per Hour||4-24 Hours||~$150-2,500|
As you can see, choosing to refacing your kitchen cabinet doors instead of completely remodeling your kitchen is a great way to cut costs and still get a new kitchen design.
Ready to Reface?
If you are ready to start ordering or if you need assistance, please feel free to call us at 1-855-669-5222 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our team of cabinet experts is here to help with everything from measuring to ordering.
Thanks for reading! Enjoy 5% off your next order with coupon code "BLOG5"