When buying new kitchen cabinets, you want to make sure that your investment lasts as long as possible. It can also be an exciting time where you are designing your new kitchen and want to highlight your personal style. Updating or replacing your cabinets can completely change the look, feel, and function of your home. However, a kitchen remodel can be a significant investment, so you may be wondering where you can save money on this project.
Cutting corners is never a good idea for home improvement projects, as it is more expensive to have to do a project twice than do it correctly the first time. When it comes to a kitchen remodel, this is no exception. And so, many homeowners may be wary of products that are viewed as cheaper in quality or price. One example of this is engineered materials like MDF and laminates.
Over time, these materials have become increasingly popular for things like cabinet doors due to their availability and price. In fact, MDF is currently one of the most sought-after building materials. We use MDF to serve as the core for our thermofoil cabinet doors. Thermofoil is a vinyl laminate that is heated and pressurized onto the MDF. But, you may be wondering if the lower price for these products comes with a sacrifice of durability. In this blog, we are going to answer your questions about thermofoil cabinet doors and their durability.
What is Thermofoil?
As stated above, thermofoil is a vinyl laminate that is heated and pressurized onto an MDF core. The thermofoil material can be made in a wide variety of colors and textures including colors like sage green and navy blue or textures such as weathered grey oak and oyster bay. One of the best benefits of thermofoil cabinet doors is that they arrived fully finished so that you don’t have to worry about purchasing any paints or stains.
Thermofoil can be a great way to make stunning modern designs due to the variety of colors and materials. With a full-overlay installation, you can use thermofoil cabinet doors to create a seamless line of cabinetry.
Benefits of Thermofoil Cabinets
Our thermofoil cabinet doors can be an effective way for you to make your project a bit more budget-friendly. They are also a great choice for minimalist designs. Read on for more benefits of choosing Thermofoil for your next kitchen remodel or cabinet refacing.
No Finishing Required
Painting or staining your cabinets can take time and money, not to mention the inconvenience of not being able to use your kitchen to cook and prepare meals for several days. Ordering thermofoil cabinet doors for your kitchen will help you save time and money by letting you skip the step of finishing and sealing your cabinet doors. We also offer pre-boring if you order your new thermofoil cabinet doors from us, which means your doors will arrive ready for hinges and mounting.
Easy To Maintain
The smooth vinyl surface of the thermofoil material makes it a breeze to keep clean. You will be able to quickly wipe away any dust or spills without having to worry as much about lasting damage. However, this is not to say that spilling boiling water on your new thermofoil cabinets wouldn’t be a problem. You can keep these cabinet doors clean by wiping them with a damp cloth and diluted soap.
Be a Trend-Setter
For those looking to quickly put together the next trending minimalist kitchen design, there is no better option than thermofoil cabinet doors. With so many colors and textures available, you will have no problem finding something on-trend or something to start the next sensation. Available in raised panel, flat panel, and slab style cabinets, thermofoil cabinet doors have something for any kitchen design.
Thermofoil Cabinets and Durability
Thermofoil cabinets are known for many things, including being to withstand wear, pressure, and damage. But with all the things Thermofoil cabinets can withstand, there are also a few things that they can’t. Here is a breakdown of the durability of this type of cabinetry.
- Resistant Surface: As mentioned above, the vinyl surface of the thermofoil is a great protector against spills, dirt, and spills. With proper installation and maintenance, new thermofoil kitchen cabinets can last up to 15 years or more.
- Warping Resistance: Unlike solid wood, Thermofoil cabinets do not warp when exposed to high humidity levels, which are common in most kitchens. Because the core of these cabinets is made of MDF, it expands and contracts in one direction, allowing it to better hold its shape in humid conditions.
- Delamination: The technology and materials used for Thermofoil have vastly improved in recent history, lessening the threat of delamination. Delamination is often caused when the core MDF swells, and the Thermofoil begins to peel away from the surface of the cabinet. The easiest way to repair this is to replace the cabinet door or drawer front completely
- Heat Resistance: Unfortunately, Thermofoil cabinets are not heat resistant. If installed too close to a heat source like an oven, the vinyl coats may pull away from the core. However, this issue can be avoided by installing heat shields between your cabinet doors and the heat source.
- Chipping: One of these disadvantages of Thermofoil cabinets is that they can chip, especially along their edges. Unfortunately, these types of chips are hard to repair without replacing the entire cabinet door.
- Discoloration: With age, Thermofoil cabinets—specifically white or lighter colored ones—take on a dull yellow color. Additionally, letting grease build up on your cabinets can make discoloration happen faster. Yellowing is less noticeable with colored cabinets, but it can still occur. Fortunately, Thermofoil cabinets are easy to clean and maintain, which will help prevent discoloration.
- Lifespan: Thermofoil kitchen cabinets remain in pristine condition for around ten years if it is properly maintained. For the average cabinet, this lifespan is relatively short, but if you’re looking for something trendy that you’re willing to replace or upgrade in a few years, then Thermofoil is the perfect option.
New thermofoil kitchen cabinets can be a great way to transform your kitchen without the work of painting or staining. In addition, thermofoil is perfect for those interested in more modern or minimalist kitchen designs. If sounds like you, be sure to also check out our line of Modern Thermofoil cabinet doors. These doors take the traditional Shaker cabinet door style and re-interpret it for the modern moment.
If you are ready to start ordering or if you need assistance, please feel free to call us at 1-855-669-5222 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our team of cabinet experts is here to help with everything from measuring to ordering.