If you have gotten tired of the way your cabinets look but don't have the time or money for a remodel, then a DIY option could be best for you. DIY options are typically much cheaper, but they can be a bit intimidating. In this guide, we will cover some DIY projects you can that will give your cabinets a new life.
1. Paint Your Cabinets
It may seem obvious, but a fresh coat of paint can completely change the feel of your cabinet doors. If you are interested in something trendy, you could paint your cabinetry in a two-color look. This is can be a great way to add space in a smaller kitchen. You can do so by doing the following:
- Remove the cabinet door.
- Remove any dirt and grease with trisodium phosphate (TSP), and sand away any nicks and cracks.
- Prime your cabinets and let them dry.
- Paint your cabinets.
2. Wallpaper Your Cabinet Doors
Wallpaper can be repurposed and used instead to decorate your cabinets. This can be a very effective way to add unique or retro elements to your space. Add surprising color and remarkable designs to your cabinet doors by doing the following:
- Paint your doors with a semigloss interior latex paint and let it dry.
- Cut a piece of wallpaper to fit the recessed panel of your cabinet door.
- Apply a spray adhesive to the back of the wallpaper. Carefully smooth it onto the recessed panel.
- You can now use a paintbrush to apply a thin coat of decoupage medium over both the wallpaper and the rest of the door.
Rather than adding to your cabinets, another way to give your cabinets a makeover is by removing your doors. This will automatically extend sight-lines which increases the sense of space and depth in a room.
5. Personalize Your Cabinets
Monograms can be a great way to personalize your cabinets. Place your monogram sticker against a contrasting background for the best effect. Alternatively, you could use a stencil and paint to add a monogram or personal design.
Transform your cabinets by replacing or refreshing your hardware. This can be a great way to elevate your cabinets, or an opportunity to add a unique, personal style element. Either way, replacing your hardware is a simply way to be a big difference.
9. Paint The Inside Of Your Cabinets
Often, people will paint the outside of their cabinets but not the inside. Painting the inside of your cabinets adds a level of interest and excitement every time you open them. If you really want to create a stunning effect, paint the interior of your cabinets a different color from the outside.
When you get ready to start on whichever DIY project, remember to be flexible. DIY is a great way to create unique and personal aesthetics, so be sure to make it your own! If you have a project in mind, but need help getting started, feel free to give us a call at 1-855-669-5222 or an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.