If you want to give your kitchen a quick and easy makeover, consider changing the look of your cabinet doors. Unlike a full remodeling job, changing your kitchen cabinet doors allows updates the look and feel the space in a lot less time and less effort. Whether you're a beginner or a moderate DIYer, there is a way to give your kitchen cabinet doors a new look to suit your expertise. And if you're not the do it yourself type, you can hire a contractor for a day or two of work.
From painting to refacing, there is so much you can do to give your kitchen cabinet doors a fresh look. If you're on the fence about how to change your cabinet doors' look, we're here to help. In this blog post, we share the benefits of changing your kitchen cabinet doors. Plus, we breakdown our top three ways to change the look of your cabinet doors.
Benefits of Changing Your Kitchen Cabinet Doors
Compared to remodeling your entire kitchen, changing the look of your cabinet doors has plenty of benefits. From the duration of the project to how much it costs, here are the most impactful benefits:
- Time To DIY: Forget the contractors that come with a kitchen remodel and get stuck into a DIY project. If you have little DIY experience under your belt, changing the look of your cabinet doors will be an easy project. For the novice, this type of project may be slightly more challenging but still doable. You may need a little more time to get right, but it will be well worth it.
- Two-Day Project: If you are looking for a quick makeover, changing your kitchen cabinet doors is the way to go. Remodeling your entire kitchen can take between three and five months to complete, but changing the look of your cabinet doors will take no longer than two days. From start to finish, you can transform your kitchen over a weekend with ease.
- Cost-Effective Makeover: Give your kitchen a new look and save yourself thousands of dollars by merely changing your cabinet doors. Unlike replacing your cabinetry and remodeling, which can cost up to $24,000, refacing or painting your cabinet doors can cost as little as $300 per door.
- Keep The Functionality Of Your Kitchen: If you desperately want a kitchen makeover but love its functionality and layout, simply change your cabinet doors' look. By only changing your kitchen cabinet doors, you get to keep the space's flow and functionality, while still getting a fresh look and feel.
Our Top 3 Ways To Change Your Kitchen Cabinet Doors
1. Reface Your Kitchen Cabinet Doors
How To Reface Your Kitchen Cabinet Doors
- Remove your cabinet doors, drawers, and hinges.
- Measure your cabinets to ensure you get the correct size for the doors and drawers.
- Pick and order your new doors, drawer fronts, and hinges that work with your kitchen.
- Do a quick deep clean of your face frames and end panels.
- Hang the new cabinet doors and attach the new drawer fronts.
2. Replace The Hardware Of Your Cabinet Doors
How To Replace Cabinet Hardware
- Remove existing hardware from your cabinet doors.
- If you are changing the mounting position, fill holes with wood-filling putty, preferably in the same shade as your cabinet door, before drilling new holes.
- Attach new hardware.
3. Paint Your Kitchen Cabinet Doors
- Acrylic or Water-Based Paints: This type of paint has lower fumes making it safer to use in the house. It is also be cleaned easily with water.
- Alkyd or Oil-Based Paints: For a stronger finish, opt for alkyd or oil-based paints. Unfortunately, alkyd or oil-based paints contain solvents that can cause lung irritation, so adequate ventilation is required. For the clean up with this type of paint, you'll need to purchase mineral spirits.
How To Paint Your Cabinet Doors
- Remove your cabinet doors.
- Remove dirt and grease from your cabinet doors on both sides.
- Sand your cabinet doors.
- Prime your cabinet doors.
- Paint your cabinet doors.
- Allow doors to dry overnight.
- Reattach your cabinet doors.