If you are debating whether or not to trash your Ikea cabinets, there are several ways you can try to refurbish them to give your room a renovated look. Rather than tearing them out and replacing them with new cabinets, you can update each Ikea cabinet door to give your storage a fancy upgrade without breaking the bank. Here are some tips on how to update your cabinet doors on your own.
Give Your Ikea Cabinet Door a Quick Makeover
If your cabinet doors are in good condition, dress them up by doing these easy, one-day projects at home.
1. Get Creative With Paint
A fast way to transform your cabinets is to paint your doors a different color. Follow these steps to paint your doors properly:
- Carefully unhinge your cabinet doors to remove them properly. Refer to your original instruction guide.
- Thoroughly clean the surface by removing dirt and grease with trisodium phosphate, and smoothing dents and cracks with sandpaper.
- Prepare your cabinets with primer, and allow them to completely dry.
- Paint with your desired color.
Since your doors are already removed, you can also give the inside of the cabinet box a fresh coat of color. Try painting the inside with a bright color to create depth and a unique look you can enjoy every time you open your Ikea cabinet door.
2. Add Edge With Trim
Just as your walls look elegant when you add crown molding, your cabinets look more dignified with custom trim. Adding trim is easier than you think. Follow these steps:
- Detach your cabinet doors.
- Measure the perimeter of each door to determine the amount of trim you need.
- Cut your trim strips to size with a miter box and a handsaw.
- Paint your trim and doors the same color, and allow them to completely dry.
- Glue your trim strips to the edges of each cabinet using wood glue. Clamp them in place until the glue is set.
3. Jazz The Doors Up With Design
If paint and trim intimidate you, adding wallpaper or stencil patterns to your Ikea cabinet door can also give your room a boost. There are countless designs available for wallpaper and stencils. You can personalize your cabinets by adding a monogram stencil to a few of your doors.
To add wallpaper, follow these steps:
- Remove your cabinet doors.
- Paint them with a semi-gloss interior latex paint, and allow them to dry.
- Apply spray adhesive to the underside of your wallpaper.
- Smooth out the wallpaper onto the door's front surface.
4. Industrialize With Metal
If paint, trim, wallpaper, and stencils do not fit your vision, try swapping out the hardware of your Ikea cabinet door. Changing your handles is an easy way to give your cabinets a fresh look.
Consider Ikea Cabinet Door Refacing
If your cabinet boxes are in good condition, but some of your doors are in bad shape, refacing is an excellent way to elevate your cabinets without making a huge investment. Refacing involves replacing your doors, rather than replacing the entire cabinet setup. You can potentially save more than $400 per cabinet box by choosing to reface each Ikea cabinet door.
If you are about to undertake a huge renovation, refacing can help you stay within your budget without compromising on design. At CabinetNow, we can reface every Ikea cabinet door you have with high-quality, American-made doors. Contact our team today to start your refacing project.
If you are struggling with getting started, or you have a list and are ready to talk style and material, feel free to give us a call at 1-855-669-5222 or an email to email@example.com. Our well-trained sales staff can help you with everything from measuring to ordering.